With the development of technology and the progress of society, cloud storage has become an important part of operating enterprises and our daily lives. As we all know, the two most important cloud storage platforms are Dropbox and OneDrive.
If you are using Dropbox and OneDrive, there are many reasons why you want to transfer files from Dropbox to OneDrive. However, is there any way you can easily migrate files from Dropbox to OneDrive?
In this article, we will introduce to you why you need to transfer files from Dropbox to OneDrive and provide you with 3 ways to achieve Dropbox to OneDrive migration.
Why Migrate Dropbox to OneDrive?
Nowadays, the online cloud becomes the most popular storage type for people. And, a lot of users have more than one cloud accounts belong to the same or different cloud brands. The common cloud services are Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Amazon Drive, MEGA, and so on. Some cloud users plan to switch from Dropbox to OneDrive for the following reasons:
- OneDrive provides more free cloud space (5 GB) than Dropbox (2 GB).
- OneDrive offers cheaper and more reasonable storage plan (50 GB: $1.99/m; 1 TB: $6.99/m; 5 TB: $9.99/m) than Dropbox (1 TB: $9.99/m; 2 TB: $19.99/m).
- They have purchased office 365 products with OneDrive service.
- They have graduated from school and have to move their schoolwork from Dropbox for Business account to their personal OneDrive.
- They have resigned from their last position and need to transfer their working documents from their public Dropbox account to their own OneDrive cloud.
- The Dropbox account is running out of space while there is much storage in OneDrive.
- Their friends recommend OneDrive to them and they find OneDrive suits them better after doing the test.
- For important data backup so that you have to move from Dropbox to OneDrive.
How to Migrate Dropbox to OneDrive in Common Ways?
As we all know, neither Dropbox nor Microsoft OneDrive app has a function to migrate data between each other. So it’s a question on how to transfer from Dropbox to OneDrive directly. In the following parts, we will offer you two traditional methods to achieve your goal.
Solution 1: Download and Upload
Step 1. Sign in to your Dropbox account.
Step 2. Create a new folder, select all files under your Dropbox account and move them to the new folder.
Step 3. Put the mouse on the new folder, click the three-dot symbol and click the “Download” button and wait for the process to complete.
Step 4. Log in to your OneDrive account.
Step 5. Click the “Upload” button to upload that .zip file to your OneDrive account and wait for the process to complete.
- The new folder will become a .zip file after it’s downloaded to the local PC.
- If you want to upload folder to your OneDrive directly, then you need to extract that.zip file first.
Solution 2: Transfer Dropbox to OneDrive with Windows Explorer
Step 3. You can move Dropbox to OneDrive with the “Cut” and “Paste” features through Windows File Explorer.
As you can see, any above solution can help you move files from Dropbox to OneDrive but it takes time to complete because you need to perform the operations manually. For solution 1, you cannot close the page until the process is complete. For solution 2, you need to install apps on your PC so you can complete the operations.
Actually, there is an effective way that can move data from Dropbox to OneDrive quickly without encountering the above problems. Please continue to read the following parts.
How to Migrate Dropbox to OneDrive in Effective Way?
If you want to quickly move files from Dropbox to OneDrive while ensuring data security, you are recommended to try a free and professional cloud file manager service, MultCloud, without logging in to both clouds, shifting from one cloud to another, or downloading and re-uploading. It has features and advantages as below:
- cloud to cloud transfer feature can be used directly on the web. Therefore, you no longer need to download files from one cloud first, then upload them to another cloud.
- The offline transfer enables you to transfer files between cloud storage in the background even though your computer is powered off.
- The multi-threaded transfer allows you to transfer multiple files at once, which will greatly improve your work efficiency.
- "File Filter" features can help you exclude certain types of files or contain only specified types of files when performing transfer.
- The authorization system of MultCloud is based on OAuth, which is a standard authorization framework that enables third-party applications to access multiple cloud accounts without the username and password required. And you no longer need to worry about important data loss.
Now, follow the steps below to quickly and safely transfer data from Dropbox to OneDrive.
Step 1. Register MultCloud - Free
MultCloud as an online cloud storage manager, to use it, firstly, you have to create an account.
Step 2. Add Dropbox and OneDrive Accounts to MultCloud
After creating an account, sign into its platform. In the main panel, click the “Add Cloud” tab on the top and select the cloud brand you are going to include. Then, follow the simple guide to finish adding the cloud.
Note: You can only add one cloud account at one time. So, add the other clouds by repeating the process.
Step 3. Migrate Dropbox to OneDrive with “Cloud Transfer”
Now, go to the “Cloud Transfer” tab and specify source and destination as Dropbox and OneDrive respectively. Finally, click “Transfer Now” and wait for the process to complete.
- “Cloud Transfer” not only enables you to transfer certain files from your Dropbox to your OneDrive account but also transfer everything from Dropbox to OneDrive.
- If you need to delete source files after migrating Dropbox to OneDrive, just tick “Delete all source files after transfer is complete” in the Options window.
- Set OneDrive as source and Dropbox as the destination if you want to migrate OneDrive to Dropbox.
- If you have very large data to transfer, to get a super-fast transfer speed, you could also upgrade your account to the premium account so MultCloud uses 10 threads to transfer your files across clouds.
More about MultCloud
Following any way above, you could easily migrate Dropbox to OneDrive. If you select the effective way above with MultCloud, you can also enjoy other advanced features. In addition to Dropbox and OneDrive, MultCloud supports more than 30 clouds at present including G Suite, OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Photos, MEGA, Amazon S3, Flickr, Box, pCloud, etc.
Besides the “Cloud Transfer “ feature, MultCloud can also do cloud to cloud sync with “Cloud Sync”. If you are going to migrate G Suite to G Suite because your domain has changed, you can make full use of this feature.
As a browser app, MultCloud requires no downloading and installation. Thus, you can save a lot of local disk space. It still can be applied in all operating systems like Windows PC & Server, Linux, Mac, ios, android, and Chrome OS; and all devices including desktop, laptop, notebook, iPad, cellphone, etc.