With the development of technology and the progress of society, cloud storage has become an important part of operating enterprises and our daily lives. As we all know, the two most important cloud storage platforms are Dropbox and OneDrive. If you are using Dropbox and OneDrive, there are many reasons why you want to transfer files from Dropbox to OneDrive. However, is there any way you can achieve how to move files from Dropbox to OneDrive?
Why Migrate Dropbox to OneDrive?
Some cloud users plan to switch from Dropbox to OneDrive for the following reasons:
- OneDrive provides more free cloud space (5 GB) than Dropbox (2 GB).
- OneDrive offers cheaper and more reasonable storage plans (50 GB: $1.99/m; 1 TB: $6.99/m; 5 TB: $9.99/m) than Dropbox (1 TB: $9.99/m; 2 TB: $19.99/m).
- They have purchased Office 365 products with the OneDrive service.
- They have graduated from school and have to move their schoolwork from their Dropbox Business account to their personal OneDrive.
- They have resigned from their last position and need to transfer their working documents from their public Dropbox account to their own OneDrive cloud.
- The Dropbox account is running out of space while there is much storage in OneDrive.
- Their friends recommend OneDrive to them and they find OneDrive suits them better after doing the test.
- For important data backup, you have to move from Dropbox to OneDrive.
How Can You Transfer Files from Dropbox to OneDrive? (3 Ways Available)
As we all know, neither Dropbox nor Microsoft OneDrive app has a function to migrate data between each other. So it’s a question of how to transfer from Dropbox to OneDrive directly. In the following parts, we will offer you 3 methods to achieve your goal.
Way 1: Download and Upload to Migrate Dropbox to OneDrive
Step 1. Sign in to your Dropbox account.
Step 2. Create a new folder, select all files under your Dropbox account, and move them to the new folder.
Step 3. Put the mouse on the new folder, click the three-dot symbol and click the "Download" button and wait for the process to complete. Unzip the file to extract Dropbox files.
Step 4. Log in to your OneDrive account.
Step 5. Click the "Upload" button to upload Dropbox files to your OneDrive account and wait for the process to complete.
- The new folder will become a .zip file after downloading Dropbox files to the local PC. You can hit Upload > Files to upload files within the zip folder directly to OneDrive.
- You have to uncompress the zip folder first before the Dropbox to OneDrive migration if you want to upload the downloaded Dropbox folder to your OneDrive directly.
- Before Dropbox migration to OneDrive, please ensure your data is smaller than 250GB because OneDrive limits your upload to 250 GB.
Way 2: Transfer Dropbox to OneDrive with Windows Explorer
Step 3. You can move Dropbox to OneDrive with the "Cut" and "Paste" features through Windows File Explorer.
As you can see, any above solution can help you move files from Dropbox to OneDrive but it takes time to complete because you need to perform the operations manually.
- For solution 1, you cannot close the page until the process is complete.
- For solution 2, you need to install apps on your PC so you can complete the operations, and it takes up local resources, like Internet connection and local disk space.
Actually, there is an effective way that can move data from Dropbox to OneDrive quickly without downloading or installing, look below.
Way 3. Migrate Dropbox to OneDrive via free cloud manager [Most Recommended]
If you want to quickly move files from Dropbox to OneDrive while ensuring data security, you are recommended to try a free and professional cloud file manager service, MultCloud, without logging in to both clouds, shifting from one cloud to another, or downloading and re-uploading.
It has features and advantages as below as the Dropbox to OneDrive migration tool:
- Cloud-to-cloud transfer directly: no longer need to download files from one cloud first, then upload them to another cloud.
- Offline transfer: move files from Dropbox to OneDrive in the background without going through local storage.
- Multi-threaded transfer: transfer files with great speed and improve your work efficiency.
- File Filter: exclude certain types of files or contain only specified types of files when performing the transfer.
- Support 30+ leading cloud storage services: Google Drive, SharePoint, Google Workspace, Dropbox, Dropbox for Business, OneDrive, iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive, Gmail, etc., and manage multiple cloud storage accounts in one place.
- OAuth authorization system: access multiple cloud accounts without the username and password required.
Now, follow the steps below to quickly and safely transfer data from Dropbox to OneDrive.
Step 1. Register MultCloud - Free
MultCloud is an online cloud storage manager, to use it, firstly, you have to create an account.
Step 2. Add Dropbox and OneDrive Accounts to MultCloud
After creating an account, sign into its platform. In the main panel, click the "Add Cloud" tab on the left and select Dropbox and OneDrive to add to MultCloud. If you want to migrate from Dropbox to OneDrive for Business, add OneDrive for Business instead.
Note: You can only add one cloud account at one time. So, add the other clouds by repeating the process.
Step 3. Migrate Dropbox to OneDrive with "Cloud Transfer"
Now, go to the "Cloud Transfer" tab and specify the source and destination as Dropbox and OneDrive respectively. Finally, click "Transfer Now" to migrate Dropbox files to OneDrive and wait for the process to complete.
- "Cloud Transfer" not only enables you to transfer certain files from your Dropbox to your OneDrive account but also transfers everything from Dropbox to OneDrive.
- If you need to delete source files after migrating Dropbox to OneDrive, just tick "Delete all source files after transfer is complete" in the Options window to free up space for Dropbox.
- Set OneDrive as the source and Dropbox as the destination if you want to migrate OneDrive to Dropbox.
- If you have very large data to transfer, to get a super-fast transfer speed, you could also upgrade your account to the premium account so MultCloud uses 10 threads to transfer your files across clouds faster.
Further reading: Dropbox to OneDrive for Business Migration
Move Dropbox to OneDrive for Business
If you are the administrator of Dropbox Business and OneDrive for Bussiness and want to transfer data between those two Business clouds, you can use the Team Transfer feature of MultCloud to easily migrate all accounts from one business cloud to another. MultCloud can automatically pair the folder from two different business clouds and migrate the files from one cloud to another.
Migrate from Dropbox to OneDrive on Mac
The above methods are demonstrated on the Windows platform. Since some users are also wondering how to migrate files from Dropbox to OneDrive on Mac, here we would like to tell you how to do that as well.
Step 1. Download and install Dropbox and OneDrive apps on your Mac.
Step 2. Open Dropbox. Select the "Settings" cog and click on "Preferences".
Step 3. Select "Choose folders to sync". Specify which Dropbox folders you want to migrate to OneDrive via the Dropbox Sync. Then these folders will sync to the Dropbox Folder location specified.
Step 4. Drag files and folders from Dropbox to OneDrive. Keep the apps running to allow sync to complete.
Step 5. When prompted to remove the folder from the Dropbox account and all devices to OneDrive, just select "Move out of Dropbox".
Finally, you will see your Dropbox folders and files in your OneDrive.
Following any way above, you could easily migrate Dropbox to OneDrive for free, and now you have found the easiest way to transfer files from Dropbox to OneDrive. If you select the effective way above with MultCloud, you can also save a lot of time. Besides the "Cloud Transfer" feature, MultCloud can also do cloud-to-cloud sync with "Cloud Sync". If you are going to sync Dropbox to OneDrive, you can make full use of this feature.
As a browser app, MultCloud requires no downloading or installation. Thus, you can save a lot of local disk space. It still can be applied in all operating systems like Windows PC & Server, Linux, Mac, ios, android, and Chrome OS; and all devices including desktops, laptops, notebooks, iPad, cellphones, etc.
MultCloud Supports Clouds
OneDrive for Business
box for Business
You May Also Like
Want to know how to transfer Dropbox to OneDrive with ease? Here in this post, you will find 3 ways to help transfer files from Dropbox to OneDrive, including the method to move Dropbox files to OneDrive directly with no download and upload.
How do I backup my Dropbox to OneDrive without downloading and uploading? You can follow this article to find an excellent and easy way to back up files and folders from Dropbox to OneDrive with a single click for free. You will also get a convenient way to manage every version of your backups after reading through this full guide.
When it comes to moving files from Dropbox to OneDrive for Business, many users choose to download and upload them manually. However, with the cloud file manager provided in this article, you can directly connect two accounts and migrate data between them at will.
In this article, we would like to share you with the best way to migrate Dropbox files to SharePoint Online in detail. You can follow only 3 steps to transfer everything from Dropbox to SharePoint with the most ease.