User Case: Can I Migrate from Dropbox to SharePoint?
I have a client who has been using a Dropbox Personal account to share business files between employees. They are ready to move from Dropbox to SharePoint. This is a construction company with a fairly-deep file structure and some filenames that may not be imported directly, so whatever migration solution I use requires error handling, fixing invalid filenames, shortening or reorganizing paths as needed, and verifying that the migration was successful. I also need to upload another 100GB or so from local storage.
Has anyone here done a similar migration or can recommend a product or service, tips, tricks or gotchas? I've done an SP migration using the Microsoft SPM tool and have had a lot of failed files that were not discovered until later.
- Question from a forum
Compared to Dropbox, which only offers cloud-based storage, Office 365 offers a higher level of improved assets for enterprise use. Also, Office 365 can sync data with your computer and let you edit files on your domain network and publish changes in seconds. So, people might want to switch and migrate all their Dropbox to Office 365.
Why Migrate Dropbox to SharePoint Online?
Dropbox is a simple storage solution. Sometimes you just need a quick and easy way to store your files, in which case Dropbox is a good choice. That said, if your main goal is to find a file storage solution, Dropbox might be a good choice, because it offers higher-tier services and virtually unlimited storage.
However, the Dropbox feature set is limited, and the additional functionality offered by SharePoint is attractive to many business owners. Dropbox surpasses SharePoint in terms of a relatively simple setup process. However, if your business needs a better feature set, you require to handle multiple content libraries at once, rather than simply integrating with Office 365, you can choose SharePoint.
SharePoint, on the other hand, is a collaboration platform for large organizations. Although SharePoint is far more complex than its counterpart, SharePoint provides more functionality in return. The power of SharePoint allows comprehensive document management, not just file sharing. For thousands of files, you can set user permissions, approval routines, and document libraries.
SharePoint becomes increasingly important as your company grows and becomes more complex. While enjoying the power that SharePoint brings, your company also has enough capabilities to configure, integrate, and maintain SharePoint. It's the best of both worlds.
The Best Way to Migrate Dropbox to SharePoint Online
If you want to migrate data from Dropbox to SharePoint, you can choose between several methods, and you can even use the help of third-party software to help migrate the content. If you want to quickly move files from Dropbox to SharePoint while keeping your data safe, I suggest you try the free and professional Dropbox to SharePoint migration tool, MultCloud, which can transfer from one cloud to another without logging into two clouds or downloading and re-uploading.
It has the following features and advantages:
- Cloud Transfer function can be used directly on one page. So, you no longer need to download files from one cloud and upload them to another cloud.
- Offline transfer lets you move files from Dropbox to SharePoint in the background, even when your computer is turned off.
- Multi-threaded transfer allows you to transfer multiple files at once, which will greatly improve your work efficiency.
- "Filter" feature helps you exclude certain types of files or include only specified types of files when performing a transfer.
- Supporting more than 30+ leading cloud storage services, including Google Drive, Google Workspace, Dropbox, Dropbox for Business, SharePoint Online, Google Photos, MEGA, Flickr, Amazon S3, and more, MultCloud can manage multiple cloud storage accounts in one place.
- MultCloud's authorization system is based on OAuth, a standard authorization framework that enables third-party applications to access multiple cloud accounts without usernames and passwords. And you no longer need to worry about losing important data.
Now, follow the steps below to quickly and securely transfer data from Dropbox to SharePoint.
Step 1. Sign Up for MultCloud
MultCloud is an online cloud storage manager, to use it, first, you must create an account.
Step 2. Add Dropbox and SharePoint Online Accounts to MultCloud
After creating an account, log into the platform. In the main panel, click the "Add Cloud" tab on the left and select the cloud brand you want to include. Then, follow the prompt to finish adding the cloud.
Note: You can only add one cloud account at a time. So, you should add other clouds by repeating the process.
Step 3. Migrate Dropbox to SharePoint using Cloud Transfer
Now, go to the "Cloud Transfer" tab and specify the source and destination as Dropbox and SharePoint Online respectively. Finally, click on "Transfer Now" and wait for the process to complete.
- "Cloud Transfer" not only lets you transfer a single file but also transfers all files from Dropbox to your SharePoint account.
- If required, you can set folders in SharePoint as the source and Dropbox as the destination to migrate SharePoint to Dropbox.
- If you have very large data to transfer, for super-fast transfer speeds, you can also upgrade your account to a premium account so that MultCloud uses 10 threads to transfer your files across clouds.
- If you need to delete source files after migrating Dropbox to SharePoint, simply check "Delete all source files after transfer is complete" in the "Options" window.
If you're an administrator of Dropbox Business or G Suite and want to transfer data between Google Workspace accounts, you can also use MultCloud's Team Transfer feature to easily migrate all your accounts from one business cloud to another cloud. MultCloud can automatically pair folders in two different business clouds and migrate files from one cloud to the other.
With all of the above, you can easily migrate Dropbox to SharePoint. In addition to the "Cloud Transfer" function, MultCloud can also perform cloud-to-cloud synchronization via "Cloud Sync". If you want to sync Dropbox to OneDrive, you can take advantage of this feature.
As a browser application, MultCloud requires no download and installation. Therefore, you can save a lot of local disk space. And, MultCloud still works on all operating systems like Windows PC & Server, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, Chrome OS, and all devices, including desktops, laptops, iPads, phones, and more.