User Case: How Do I Sync Google Photos to Desktop Automatically?
“So, I have photos on the Google Photos service, which automatically gets all my photos from my Android device. But, how do I automatically download those pictures into a folder on my PC? Apparently, this used to be done with Drive but not any longer.” – A post from Reddit.
Google Photos is specialized in photo storing and sharing. Once you take photos and turn on Back up &sync, those photos can be synced to Google Photos so that they are accessible on different devices. However, Google officially uncoupled Google Photos from Google Drive. Hence, though your phones can sync Google Photos automatically, the pictures saved on Google Photos cannot display on your PC.
Why Sync Photos from Google Photos to PC?
Generally, users prefer to back up photos and videos to Google Photos for data protection. However, sometimes you may need to sync Google Photos to PC for the following reasons:
- Save Google Photos Storage. Google has ended its unlimited storage space for high-quality photos from June, 2021. So, you have to pay for more Google Photos storage once you run out of the free 15GB storage limit. To solve the "Google Photos storage limit" issue, it is feasible to sync photos from Google Photos to PC and then free up Google Photos storage by deleting those photos.
- Protect Data. Even though Google Photos is a wonderful service for people to store photos, videos and audio files. Nevertheless, sometimes the problems of Google Photos lost photos, Google Photos not syncing and Google Photos not backing up happen. Thus, to add a layer to protect your precious photos, syncing images from Google Photos to PC is a helpful way.
As you can see, syncing Google Photos with PC is beneficial. Even though the direct way to sync photos from Google Photos to PC is no longer available now, you can still achieve the goal by following the methods below.
Sync Google Photos to PC by the Windows Browser
If there are only a small set of photos to do with Google Photos desktop sync, you can easily use Windows browser to have a try. Now, you can follow the instructions below:
Step 1: Go to Google Photos and sign in with your Google account.
Step 2: Select the photo or photos you want to sync from Google Photos to PC, and then click the 3-vertical-dots on the right upper side.
Step 3: Press the Download button, or you can simply press Shift + D on your keyboard to download.
1. If you have created albums, you can go to Album to download all photos in the album at once. The steps are very simple:
Step 1: Head to Album.
Step 2: Go to the album you want to download, and then click the 3-dots icon on the right upper side.
Step 3: Select Download all.
2. If you sync images from Google Photos to PC by Windows browser, you need to make sure the Network keeps good during the syncing process. If the network connection is interrupted, the whole process may restart all over again.
Sync Google Photos to PC by Google Takeout
Google Takeout, a data retrieval service, allows users to archive the data from Google products such as Google Photos, Google Drive, YouTube and so on. Simply, Google Takeout can take all your existing Google data and collect it into a file that can be downloaded later.
So, if you have numerous photos to download from Google Photos to your local computer, you can ask this helpful application for how to backup Google Photos to PC:
Step 1: Log in to your Google Takeout by your Google account.
Step 2: Click Deselect All and then scroll down to check Google Photos. And you can select the folder that you want to export from Google Photos. Then tap Next step.
Step 3: Then select the file type, frequency and destination one by one. Next, press Create export.
Step 4: Click Download on the next window to start the exporting process.
However, using Google Takeout may be not that helpful as you wish. Here are some problems it may happen:
- There is no Resume option. Once the archive process is interrupted, it cannot resume.
- Google sometimes may state that it cannot create an archive of your data due to the large size of the data.
- There is a limitation of the number that you can try to download the archive. If you are unable to download it at the very first 5 or 6 attempts, the download link will be obsolete.
Sync Google Photos to PC by MultCloud
The above methods are useful, but have limitations at the same time. Then you may wonder is there any useful way to sync photos from Google Photos to PC without worrying about the network or other unexpected things. Fortunately, there is a special service named MultCloud that can help you download images effectively.
MultCloud is a professional cloud file manager that can help you manage your cloud services such as Google Drive, Google Photos, OneDrive, Dropbox, MEGA, FTP, etc. in only one platform with just one login.
As a stand-out storage manager, MultCloud not only allows users to upload, download, move and share files, but also offers special features such as “Cloud Transfer”, “Cloud Sync” and “Remote Upload”. Now, you can refer to the instructions below to learn the basic operations to sync Google Photos to computer with MultCloud:
Step 1: Sign up MultCloud free by your email.
Step 2: Click the Add Cloud tab on the left side and grant MultCloud access to Google Photos.
Step 3: Now, go to Google Photos, and then locate the photos you want to download from Google Photos to your PC. Then select the photo, and click the Download tab on the upper side.
1. In addition to downloading photos, you can also Copy to other cloud services, Preview and Share those photos with your friends by using MultCloud.
2. Besides, MultCloud can also help you sync photos from one cloud to another. For example, if you want to sync Google Photos to OneDrive, or to Google Drive, you can complete the task easily with the “Cloud Sync” feature.
In the End
That’s all about ways to sync Google Photos to PC. Anyway, you can sync images from Google Photos to computer by its web app, using Google Takeout and MultCloud. If you use MultCloud, you can download files directly. In addition, you can also transfer from one cloud to another effectively with the feature called “Cloud Transfer”. Now, you can choose the solution that suits you most.