Using cloud storage as a backup way is more and more popular now. Most cloud services provide the version of desktop and mobile phones for their users so that they can access these storage files whenever and wherever. It is commonly seen that one person owns multiple cloud accounts in order to get maximum free storage.
Google Drive and OneDrive are two of the most famous and powerful cloud services that are widely used worldwide. Google Drive offers users 15 GB of free storage and upgrades options with charging a monthly fee.
OneDrive, integrated tightly with Microsoft Office, offers 5 GB of storage space free of charge. Users could purchase additional storage separately or through subscriptions to other Microsoft services such as Office 365.
It is safe to say that having several clouds means you spend more time managing them. In this situation, synchronization is a good solution to integrate multiple clouds. So, is there any way to sync OneDrive with Google Drive for free? Yes! The following part will introduce three ways to help you.
Basic Ways: How to Sync Google Drive with OneDrive Free?
First of all, you might want to try some traditional ways to sync Google Drive and OneDrive.
Solution 1. Perform Google Drive OneDrive sync Using Download and Upload
This is a traditional way to sync one cloud to another. To backup Google Drive to OneDrive, you can also use this method.
Step 1. Login your Google Drive account.
Step 2. Select all the files and click on the “Download” button to download them to your local storage.
Step 3. Login OneDrive account.
Step 4. Click on “Upload” button to add all the downloaded files to OneDrive.
But before operating with this method, there are some potential problems that you have to pay attention to:
- The process of downloading and uploading can be extremely slow if the network speed is slow.
- The files will be downloaded as a zip file, so you have to unzip the file before uploading if you want to upload these files separately. Thus, this way will cost you more time and energy.
Solution 2. Sync Google Drive with OneDrive Free with Google Takeout
Google Takeout is also called "Download your data" that allows users to export their data from Google Photos, Google Keep, YouTube, Google Drive, etc., to an archive file, so that users can transfer data to local PC, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive or Box. Now, you can use this method to sync Google Drive and OneDrive.
Step 1. Move to the website of Google Takeout and log in.
Step 2. Select Drive to export and click on the “Next step” icon to continue.
- “Multiple formats” option allows you to choose specific formats for your archive.
- “Advanced settings” option helps you choose additional files for your archive. For example, you can choose to include named, published, and uploaded versions or include additional info for files and folders.
- “All Drive data included” option helps you choose specific Drive data for your archive. For example, you can choose synced data or data that is related to Google Docs user preference.
Step 3. Select the “Add to OneDrive” option as the delivery method, click on the "Link account and create export" icon, and accept the permissions that Google Takeout sends to you.
Step 4. Sign in your OneDrive account and move to the "Files" interface and you can see the exported data from Google Photos in the "Google Download Your Data" folder.
Solution 2 can help you avoid downloading and uploading but it requires a high speed and uninterrupted network or the process need to be re-started once the Internet is interrupted. So, is it possible to avoid these problems? Yes! You can use a free third-party tool called MultCloud to perform the task.
Top Way: Sync Google Drive with OneDrive Free via MultCloud
Compared with Solution 1 and Solution 2, with the “Cloud Sync” feature, MultCloud has prominent advantages as below.
- No need to download and upload: MultCloud, as a FREE and professional multiple cloud storage manager, allows you to use several clouds at the same time, so you can sync between cloud drives without downloading and uploading.
- High speed of synchronizing: the process runs on the server of MultCloud, so you don’t have to worry about the connection or speed of the network.
- Schedule sync task: MultCloud allows you to set up a sync plan to automatically carry out syncing tasks in the future.
- Offline sync: As long as the sync process starts, you are allowed to close the browser because MultCloud can run the task in the background.
The following part is 4 steps to sync Google Drive to OneDrive.
Step 1. Create one MultCloud account.
Step 2. Log in MultCloud and Click the “Add Cloud” button to choose Google Drive to add. Authorize Google Drive. Edit the Display Name as you wish and click on “Add Google Drive”.
Step 3. Add OneDrive. Repeat previous two steps to add OneDrive to MultCloud.
Step 4. Achieve Google Drive OneDrive Sync with the "Cloud Sync" Task. Click on the "Cloud Sync" icon and select Google Drive as the source and OneDrive as the destination. Then click on “Sync Now” to sync from Google Drive to OneDrive.
- What’s more, once you have created a sync task, you can also commit it or re-edit, delete, view logs, etc. from the Task List.
Automatically Sync OneDrive to Google Drive
Besides "Normal Sync", the MultCloud also provides you with "Real Time Sync", which is able to perform an automatic sync whenever any changes are detected in either of the clouds. The "One-way sync" in "Real Time Sync" means added, modified and deleted files in the source directory will be synced to the target directory. However, the added, modified and deleted files in the target directory will not be replicated to the source directory.
On the other hand, "two-way sync" in "Real Time Sync" means any added, modified and deleted files in the source or target directory will be replicated to each other. In this way, the files in the source and target directories are always the same.
If you want to make the sync more flexibly, you can upgrading your account to enjoy more sync plans.
- Mirror Sync: files in the source and target directories are always the same (extra files will be deleted in the target directory).
- Move Sync: all the synced files in the source directory will be deleted once the sync process is completed.
- Cumulative Sync: when deleting the files in the source directory, the same files in the target directory will not be deleted.
- Update Sync: before added and modified files in the source directory are transferred to the target directory, all files in the target directory will be deleted firstly.
- Incremental Sync: each time when you sync files, a subdirectory will be created in the target directory so that the added and modified files in the source directory will be transferred to it.
- Full Backup Sync: each time when you sync files, a subdirectory will be created in the target directory so that all the files in the source directory will be transferred to it.
This article has introduced three solutions to sync Google Drive with OneDrive free. You can choose one method as you like. Conversely, you can also directly sync OneDrive and Google Drive with the help of MultCloud if MultCloud is your choice.
MultCloud supports OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, FTP, MySQL MEGA, and other more than 30 cloud services, so you can easily perform data migration or sync between different cloud drives.
In addition to the “Cloud Sync” feature, MultCloud also has “Cloud Transfer” and “Remote Upload” functions. Therefore, as long as you have cloud drives that MultCloud supports, you can realize quick remote upload to MEGA, Box to OneDrive migration, or upload to Google Drive from URL if necessary.