User Case: How to Transfer Files from One Cloud Storage to Another without Downloading?
Is it possible to transfer files from one cloud storage to another directly without downloading? (Like from Google Drive to Dropbox). --- https://www.quora.com/
I need to upload a large number of files to one cloud storage provider and then copy those files to another cloud storage provider using software that I will write. I have looked at several cloud storage providers and I don't see an easy way to do what I need to do unless I first download the files and then upload them to the second storage provider. I want to copy directly using the cloud storage provider API. Any suggestions or links to storage providers that have APIs that will allow copying from one provider to another would be most welcome. --- https://stackoverflow.com/
Why Move Files between Cloud Storage Services?
Nowadays, using cloud services to store data has been a popular thing. Mainstream clouds like Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive are favored by users with advanced features and users may be attracted by different functions provided by different services. In most cases, users will need to transfer data between different services for the following 3 reasons.
- Cost Savings: Different cloud services offer varying pricing structures. Switching to a more cost-effective service can help you save money on storage fees.
- Better Features: You might want to access features or tools that another service offers, such as enhanced collaboration options, security measures, or integration with specific apps.
- Data Redundancy: To ensure data redundancy and backup, you might want to store copies of your files on multiple cloud platforms to safeguard against potential data loss due to service outages or other issues.
In this situation, many users want to transfer files between cloud storage services and you might be one of them. Then, how to move files from one cloud to another? You can get 2 top ways to transfer files between cloud services from this post.
[Easiest] Move Files between Cloud Storage Services without Downloading
MultCloud, as a free multiple cloud storage manager, provides file transfer from one cloud to another easily. Only with a few clicks, you can select the files and folders you want and transfer them quickly. Not only that, you can also select the whole cloud account to transfer all your files to another cloud storage service automatically. Using this way to manage clouds, your files will be as well organized as if they were stored in the previous cloud storage service.
Currently, MultCloud has 6 main functions, as well as other features, such as copying, copying to, sharing, previewing, and so on. With the help of those functions, you can easily migrate files between clouds, especially "Cloud Transfer".
To have a closer look at how it works, here we take OneDrive and Google Drive transfer as an example.
Before You Do:
1. Sign up first with an Email account and password. Or, you can use your Google, Facebook account or Apple ID to sign in directly.
2. Click on "Add Cloud" button and add OneDrive and Google Drive to MultCloud one by one.
After everything above is ready, you can move files between cloud storage services by using drag & drop, "Copy" or "Copy to" and "Cloud Transfer" features in MultCloud.
Option 1: Drag and Drop Files from One Cloud Storage to Another
Step 1: Open up your OneDrive account in MultCloud.
Step 2: Select the files that you want to move and just drag them from OneDrive to Google Drive.
Note: This method can only be used in the old version of MC, you can click "Switch to classic MultCloud" in the lower left corner to use.
Option 2: Copy Files from One Cloud Storage to Another
Step 1: Open up your OneDrive account and select the files you want to copy to Google Drive.
Step 2: Right-click "Copy" or "Copy to" to complete the task.
- If you click on the "Copy" icon, then you need to paste the files to Google Drive.
- If you click on the "Copy to" icon, you should choose Google Drive as the destination and click on the "OK" button to directly copy from OneDrive to Google Drive without pasting.
Option 3. Automatically Transfer Files from One Cloud Storage to Another
This method is also easy to operate and the difference between option 1 and option 2 is that the "Cloud Transfer" function is more suitable for transferring folders or the whole storage to the other clouds. So, you can choose one based on your specific situation. The part below will introduce detailed steps.
Step 1: Click on the "Cloud Transfer" button.
Step 2: Select the files or folders placed under OneDrive as the source and Google Drive or the folders in it as the destination.
Step 3: Click on "Transfer Now" to complete the task.
- To select multiple folders, you only need to tick the checkboxes. The "Schedule" option can help you set a migration plan to transfer data automatically.
- As long as the task starts, you can close the page and even shut down your computer because MultCloud can run the transfer task in the background.
- In addition to the above features, MultCloud supports other features to help manage your cloud data better.
- Team Transfer: Seamless batch migration of sub-accounts between different enterprise storage services.
- Cloud Sync: 10 sync modes for you to sync data between different services in real time.
- Cloud Backup: Important data backup and recovery between different services.
- Email Migration: Easily save emails to a flash drive or cloud account, such as backup Gmail to Synology.
- Remote Upload: The content in URLs, torrent files or magnet links is directly parsed to the cloud drive.
[Common] Move Files between Cloud Storage Services with Download & Upload
The most straightforward way to transfer files between cloud storage services is the manual method. This involves downloading files from the source cloud storage to your local machine and then uploading them to the target cloud storage. Hopefully, you will never have to use this method because it is too time-consuming.
Step 1: Log in to your cloud A.
Step 2: Select the files you want to move and click on "Download" to download them to the local storage.
Step 3: Log in to your cloud B.
Step 4: Click on the "Upload" button to add these files to your target cloud.
Basically, you can move files from one cloud to another cloud with this method. But it costs you a lot of time to download and upload and such a process can be really slow when the network speed runs slowly. But don’t worry, with the cloud file transfer manager --- MultCloud mentioned above, you can move files between cloud storage services in 3 top ways without using the downloading and uploading process.
This paper provides 4 ways for you to transfer files between cloud storage services and you could choose one as you like. Obviously, MultCloud is an excellent tool for transferring files from one cloud to another. Currently, it supports more than 30 clouds. As long as you have cloud drives that MultCloud supports, you can realize data migration, sync, and backup between different cloud services easily. For example, you can sync Amazon S3 to Google Drive or sync multiple Google Drive accounts if necessary.
MultCloud Supports Clouds
OneDrive for Business
box for Business