Can You Download Gmail Emails to Your Computer?
Gmail, Google's popular email service, is widely used by individuals and businesses alike. It's crucial to ensure the safety and availability of your important emails, which is why knowing how to back up Gmail emails with attachments to your computer is essential. This article will guide you through different methods to safeguard your emails and provide step-by-step instructions for each method.
Why Backup Emails to Computer from Gmail?
Before learning how to save all Gmail emails to computer, you may wonder what can this operation bring advantages to you. Well, you can at least benefit from the following aspects.
- Data Loss Prevention: Accidental deletion, hacking attempts, or technical issues can lead to the loss of important emails. Backing up your emails ensures that you have a copy of your data even if something unexpected happens.
- Offline Access: Having a local backup of your Gmail emails allows you to access your messages even without an Internet connection. This can be useful when you're traveling or in situations where Internet access is limited.
- Archiving and Organization: Backing up emails allows you to organize and archive them based on your preferences. You can create folders, categorize emails, and easily search for specific messages without relying solely on Gmail's interface.
- Migration and Transition: If you plan to switch email providers or need to migrate your Gmail data to another account, having a backup simplifies the process.
Backing up Gmail emails to your computer is similar to the solution for how to backup Gmail emails to hard drive. You can use an official Google tool called Google Takeout to download all emails from Gmail to computer as a zip file. And the Print option in Gmail can also give you some help. Or, you can also use a professional email-to-PDF converter, MultCloud, to download Google emails to computer with more powerful options.
How to Backup Gmail Emails to Computer Efficiently: MultCloud
To perform the quickest and simplest Gmail-to-computer download, you can use a wonderful third-party service to quickly and batch backup your Gmail emails and attachments to computer without waiting, that is MultCloud.
MultCloud offers a secure website for you to move emails to computer or cloud storage services without any risk of data loss. Your emails will be converted to PDF for easy access on different devices. All you need is to add your Gmail to MultCloud and use the Email Download feature to efficiently download Gmail data to computer.
- Email Download: Download emails as PDFs to local devices.
- Email Migration: One-click online migration from emails to clouds.
- Multi-Cloud Manage: Manage 30+ clouds in one safe place.
- Cloud-to-Cloud: Transfer, sync, and backup across clouds quickly.
Download Gmail Emails to Computer by Email Download
Step 1. Sign up for MultCloud on your browser.
Step 2. Click the “Add Email” button and choose Gmail to log in.
Step 3. Your Gmail will be automatically opened to you after adding. You can open the Inbox and select the emails that you want to back up to your computer.
Step 4. Click “Download” above, name your backed-up email folder, and choose the settings you need. Then click “OK” in the pop-up window and your Gmail emails will be backed up to your computer as soon as possible.
- Save Attachments: Your Gmail attachments can also be backed up to your computer.
- Conversation Format: All your conversations in one email will be combined properly without containing repeated references.
- Save the Last Message Only: Only the last message of an email will be backed up.
How to Backup Gmail Emails to Computer Manually: 2 Ways
If you want to download all your emails from Gmail to your computer, Google Takeout can help you to some degree. On the contrary, if you only need to back up a piece of email to a local drive, using the Print feature in your Gmail website is also a good choice.
Way 1. How to Download All Gmail Emails to Computer via Google Takeout
Google Takeout is a built-in feature that allows Google users to export and backup their data from various Google services, including Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos. Therefore, you can use Google Takeout to batch backup emails from Gmail to computer with a few clicks.
Step 1. Log in to your Google account on the browser and click Data and privacy > Download your data to open Google Takeout.
Step 2. Click “Deselect all” and scroll down the page to tick “Mail”.
Step 3. Move to the bottom of the page and click “Next step”.
Step 4. Make sure the transfer destination is “Send download link via email”. Then choose the frequency and other settings you need. After that, click “Create export” to export Gmail emails to computer.
Google Takeout Limitations
- The free version of Google Takeout has limitations, allowing only 2-3 downloads per day and a maximum of 7 downloads per week.
- Google Takeout may occasionally encounter issues and fail to backup the complete data, which can make it an unreliable option as a free tool.
- It's worth mentioning that data downloads through Google Takeout are restricted to a maximum of 50 GB per day, even when using the .tgz format. This means that when exporting large files or folders, you may experience incomplete downloads of your Google data.
- When using Google Takeout, it's important to note that folders shared with you in Google Drive cannot be included in the export, even if you have added files to those shared folders.
Way 2. How to Save Gmail Emails to Computer by "Printing"
Gmail allows users to store emails on computers as PDFs. Therefore, you can use the Print feature to convert your Gmail into PDF and backup it to your computer.
Step 1. Log in to the Gmail website and open an email from Inbox.
Step 2. Click the three-dot button in the upper-right corner and choose "Print" in the dropdown menu.
Step 3. In the pop-up window, choose "Save as PDF" as the destination and click "Save". Then choose a place on your computer to save the downloaded Gmail email.
In the End
In conclusion, learning how to backup Gmail emails to computer ensures that you have a secure and accessible copy of your valuable data. In this comprehensive guide, we explored different methods to back up Gmail emails, including using Google Takeout and the third-party email backup service. You can choose one according to your needs.
You can also use the Email Migration feature of MultCloud to save email to Google Drive, Dropbox, or other clouds to protect your emails properly while saving your local storage.
Why should I backup my Gmail emails to my computer?
Backing up Gmail emails to your computer ensures you have a local copy of your important data in case of account issues, data loss, or if you want to access emails offline.
Can I backup specific folders or labels from my Gmail account?
Yes, both Google Takeout and some third-party tools like MultCloud allow you to select specific folders or labels for backup, ensuring you only save what you need.
Will my email attachments be included in the backup?
Yes, most backup methods will include attachments along with the emails.
How often should I backup my Gmail emails?
The frequency of backups depends on how often you receive important emails. Regular backups are recommended, especially if you frequently use your Gmail account.
MultCloud Supports Clouds
OneDrive for Business
box for Business