Overview of Google Workspace and SharePoint
Google Workspace enables teams of all sizes to connect, create and collaborate. It includes productivity and collaboration tools for work: Gmail for custom business email, Drive for cloud storage, Docs for word processing, Meet for video and voice conferencing, Chat for team messaging, Slides for creating presentations, and shared calendars.
Microsoft's SharePoint is an intranet solution that enables users to share and manage content, knowledge, and applications to enhance teamwork, find information quickly, and collaborate across an organization.
Google Workspace vs SharePoint Comparison
Which is better, Google Workspace or SharePoint? If you want to provide your organization with competent cloud file sharing for business, you should take the time to evaluate different solutions. These two tools have many similarities, but they also have their own unique features. This article makes a detailed comparison between Google Workspace and SharePoint from the following aspects.
1. Microsoft SharePoint vs Google Workspace --- Price
Neither Google Workspace nor SharePoint offers a free version, so you'll need to purchase the appropriate version upfront to get the service. In terms of price, SharePoint offers more storage space at a lower price, while Google Workspace is relatively more expensive. It is worth mentioning that Google Workspace provides a customized version, which is user-friendly.
► Google Workspace Price
|Business Starter||30 GB||$6/month||$0.2/GB|
|Business Standard||2 TB||$12/month||$0.006/GB|
|Business Plus||5 TB||$18/month||$0.004/GB|
|Enterprise||Customized||Contact sales team||-|
► SharePoint Price
|Business Plan No. 1||1TB||$5/month||$0.005/GB|
|Business Plan No. 2||Unlimited storage||$10/month||-|
|Microsoft 365 business basic version||1 TB||$5/month||$0.005/GB|
|Microsoft 365 business standard version||1 TB||$12.5/month||$0.012/GB|
If you're starting from scratch, SharePoint is the better pricing option because it's cheaper and all the apps are great. However, if you are used to Google Workspace's pricing strategy, Google Workspace can also serve you better.
2. Google Workspace vs SharePoint --- Other Features
In addition to the price you are most concerned about, you may also want to consider the differences between the two services in terms of functions and features. Considering the functional differences between the two products can help you choose the service that best meets your needs.
|Features||Google Workspace||Microsoft SharePoint|
|Top Functions||Alerts/Notifications; Archiving & Retention; Collaboration Tools; Commenting/Notes; Customizable Templates; Drag & Drop; Electronic Signature; File Conversion; File Recovery; Offline Access; Search/Filter; Third-Party Integrations; Version Control; Workflow Management;||Alerts/Notifications; Collaboration Tools; Commenting/Notes; Customizable Templates; Drag & Drop; Search/Filter; Third-Party Integrations; Workflow Management;|
|Integrations||Google Sheets; Zoom Meetings; Google Forms; Acuity Scheduling; Google Meet; Rippling; Gusto;||Microsoft Excel; Microsoft PowerPoint; Microsoft 365; Adobe Acrobat Reader; OneDrive; Microsoft Teams; Adobe Acrobat;|
|Typical Customers||Freelancers; Small businesses; Mid-size businesses; Large enterprises;||Freelancers; Small businesses; Mid-size businesses; Large enterprises;|
|Platforms Supported||Web, Android, iPhone/iPad||Web, Android, iPhone/iPad|
|Support Options||Email/Help Desk; Chat; FAQs/Forum; Knowledge Base; 24/7 (Live rep); Phone Support;||Email/Help Desk; Chat; FAQs/Forum; Knowledge Base; 24/7 (Live rep); Phone Support;|
|Training Options||Videos; Webinars; Live Online; Documentation;||Videos|
In general, Google Workspace provides more functions than SharePoint, such as Archiving & Retention, File Conversion, File Recovery and Version Control, so Google Workspace can provide enterprise users with more complete cloud content collaboration services.
Google Workspace is a collection of web-based communication and collaboration services provided by Google, while SharePoint is a web application framework and collaboration platform provided by Microsoft, so the two can be integrated with various services provided by Google and Microsoft respectively. In addition, if you need better technical support, Google Workspace can provide you with more.
Google Workspace vs SharePoint, Which is Your Best Choice?
Through the above comparison of price and other features, it may be difficult for you to choose between the two. However, you can try to combine the advantages of Google Workspace and SharePoint with your needs to make the best choice.
1. Key benefits of using Google Workspace:
- Access all Google apps anytime, anywhere from your computer, tablet or phone.
- Archive emails and chats, electronic discovery, and export emails and chats using Google Vault.
- Manage all company data, mobile devices, email addresses and security settings using the Google Admin console.
- Share, collaborate and comment on text documents, presentations and spreadsheets using Google Drive.
- Organize meetings more efficiently by scheduling events in a shared calendar, sending reminders to Gmail, joining video meetings using Hangouts, and sharing presentations using Slides.
- Create online documents, spreadsheets, surveys and forms, and presentations.
- Build multiple project sites by choosing from hundreds of pre-built templates.
2. Key benefits of using Microsoft SharePoint:
- Connect with employees across the enterprise. Use SharePoint to connect with people, share ideas, find answers, discover insights, and discuss with experts.
- Store, sync, access and share documents with OneDrive across the device, which also allows public/private file sharing.
- SharePoint's multi-step upgrade process enables organizations to upgrade servers without impacting users.
- Organize information, people, and projects from one location.
- Developers and Web designers can use familiar tools and Internet standards to create new experiences on SharePoint.
- SharePoint provides powerful controls that enable IT to manage time, cost and risk.
- Visualize data using SharePoint's PowerView tool, then use PowerPivot to explore and combine data with data from alternate sources.
Bonus Tip: How to Perform SharePoint to Google Workspace Migration or Vice Versa
After you better understand Google Workspace vs SharePoint, you can choose the right one for your needs. If you have both Google Workspace and SharePoint and want to transfer files between them, the traditional way is to download files from SharePoint first, and then manually upload them to Google Workspace, and vice versa, which is not only troublesome but also time-consuming.
Here we recommend MultCloud, a free web-based cloud file manager that can help easily transfer files from one cloud drive to another without downloading. Why use MultCloud? MultCloud can help you manage all your cloud drives simultaneously in a single interface with multi-functional features. For example, you can use MultCloud to find, view, copy, upload, download or cut files from different drives in the same list.
Alternatively, you can easily do:
- Cloud Transfer: Seamless cloud migration between different services and accounts, supporting scheduled migration.
- Team Transfer: Seamless cloud migration between different enterprise storage services, supporting batch migration of sub-accounts.
- Cloud Sync: Real-time sync of data between different services, supporting 10 sync modes.
- Cloud Backup: Important data backup between different services, supporting version management and data recovery.
- Remote Upload: The content in URLs, torrent files or magnet links is automatically parsed to the cloud drive.
Here, you need to complete SharePoint to Google Workspace migration or vice versa.
Step 1. Sign up and log into MultCloud for free. You can also log into MultCloud with your Facebook or Google account.
Step 2. Click "Add Cloud" to add Google Workspace and SharePoint to MultCloud respectively.
Note: MultCloud supports over 30 major cloud storage services, including Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, MEGA, Wasabi, and more. You can add as many clouds as you want in MultCloud, absolutely free.
Step 3. After adding the cloud drive, enter the "Cloud Transfer" page of MultCloud, add the file path in the SharePoint site as the source, and add Google Workspace or its folders as the target.
Step 4. Before starting the transfer task, you can set the file transfer method in "Options". In addition, you can also set daily, weekly or monthly scheduled cloud file transfer tasks through "Schedule", even if you are not logged in to MultCloud, you can transfer files at a specific time.
Step 5. Click "Transfer Now". MultCloud will immediately start transferring files from SharePoint to Google Workspace.
- If you need to execute G Suite to SharePoint migration, you only need to exchange the corresponding source and destination directories.
- MultCloud offers 5 GB per month per free user to transfer data between clouds at fast transfer speeds. But if you have big data transfer needs, you can also upgrade your MultCloud account to enjoy extremely fast transfer speed and less traffic limit.
- After the transfer task starts, you can check the detailed progress on the "Task List" page. You can also cancel the transfer task on this page.
With the above-detailed comparison of Google Workspace vs SharePoint, you can choose the appropriate document collaboration and sharing service according to your needs. Also, if you have trouble transferring data between Google Workspace and SharePoint, you can do it easily with MultCloud.