About Google Drive
Google Drive (renamed to Google One now) allows you to store files, images or videos online, and keep them synced with all of your devices. Access them anywhere and share with others through network easily. Additional to sharing and storage, Google Drive (via Google Docs) enables you to edit documents, spreadsheets, presentations, surveys, and more. But when you open the Microsoft Word files in Google Drive, you can only view the file, can’t edit it, or edit as a Google Doc file.
About Office 365
Office 365 is the online version of Microsoft's suite of office products in the cloud. It not only provides all the standard office products like Excel, Outlook, Word, SharePoint and more, but also available from any internet enabled computer. Just as its name show: access to your Office from anywhere and anytime all year-round. Office 365 is designed to seamlessly work with Microsoft OneDrive Cloud Storage service. So when you click on Open or Save As you get to see a nice logo for OneDrive and access the Cloud Storage directly. But when you go to Add a Place you can only find Microsoft Services and not other cloud storage services like Google Drive and Dropbox.
Three ways to add Google Drive to Office 365
Is there any way to add it yourself? Yes, this article will show you some methods.
Solution1. Follow the instructions released by Microsoft
Microsoft did release instructions on how to integrate any cloud storage service into Office 365. It would guide you to register a cloud storage service on a user’s client machine. The cloud storage service is responsible for registering itself on the user's client machine through its Setup program. The registration consists of setting some registry keys to provide Office 365 with some details about the cloud storage service.
This way would require you have some professional computer knowledge, if you are so technically inclined feel free to read all about it here.
Solution2. Install Google Drive plug-in for Microsoft Office
You can install the Google Drive plug-in for Microsoft Office. The Google Drive plug-in for Microsoft® Office allows users working in Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, and Outlook® to open documents directly from Google Drive, and save to Google Drive, without leaving their Office programs. You can also use Office 365 if you subscribe and install it on your computer.
- 1. In a web browser, go to the plug-in page and click Download.
- 2. Double-click DriveForOffice.exe and click Run.
- 3. Open Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Outlook.
- 4. On startup, at the Welcome screen, click Get Started, and then sign in to your Google Account.
- 5. On the Authorization page, click Accept. After you install the plug-in, you'll see "Google Drive" in the Office menu bar.
Note: The plug-in does not work with Office for Mac.
Solution3. Move/Sync files from Google Drive to OneDrive
Since Office 365 is seamlessly work with OneDrive Cloud Storage service, you can move or sync files from Google Drive to OneDrive. Then you can access to OneDrive directly through Office 365. You may think about this as download the files from Google Drive to local device and then upload it to OneDrive, and then it will be troublesome and cost much time, and it is especially not practical when you need switch between them frequently.
Don’t be disappointed, here is a more direct way to add Google Drive to Office 365 for good. We recommend a third party could file manager – MultCloud. Not only for Google Drive and OneDrive, it support almost all popular cloud storage service, such as Dropbox, Flickr, Amazon Cloud Drive, OneDrive for Business, G Suite, FTP, Box, MySQL, MEGA , SugarSync etc. The Following is step by step guide.
- Step1. Create a MultCloud account, it’s free of charge.
- Step2. Add Google Drive accounts. In its main console, click “Add Cloud Drives” in the top menu and select “Google Drive” from the right cloud drive list. Then click “Next”.
- Step3. Edit the Display Name as you wish and click Add Google Drive Account, then just follow the easy guidance to finish cloud account adding.
- Step4. Repeat previous two steps to add OneDrive to MultCloud. Then your Google Drive account and OneDrive account are linked in one place. You can add all your Cloud service account to connect and manage files between multiple cloud storage if needed.
- Step5. Click on the tab – ‘Cloud Transfer” and select Google and OneDrive accounts.
- Step6Click on Options to setting as you want to cloud transfer, then close the pop window and click “Transfer Now” to perform the task.
Tips: Besides Cloud Transfer, you can also use MultCloud's Cloud Sync service to sync Google Drive and OneDrive directly. You can click on Options to setting the ways to synchronize clouds. There are 8 sync ways in all.
In short, MultCloud offers an easy and direct way to add Google Drive to Office 365. You can reply on it to integrate your Google Drive with OneDrive, like sync Google Drive with OneDrive free, copy Google Drive to OneDrive etc. Multcloud can do both one-way and two-way sync between any two of your cloud accounts. What’s more, your data is confidential because we use 256-bit AES encryption for SSL. It’s 100% safe for you to use the service of MultCloud.