OneDrive is a file hosting service and synchronization service that Microsoft runs as part of its web version of Office. It was first launched in August 2007, allowing users to store files and personal data (such as Windows settings or BitLocker recovery keys) in the cloud, share files, and sync files across Android, Windows, and other devices. OneDrive offers 5 GB of storage space free of charge and if you need more space, then you need to purchase its subscription. With the OneDrive cloud service, you can
- Sync files between the cloud and local folders.
- Access files from multiple devices.
- Make a data backup and restore to previously saved versions from the cloud when necessary.
- Share files, photos, and even entire folders with friends, colleagues, and family members.
How to transfer files from one OneDrive account to another directly and quickly? Before that, there are some reasons that make you decide to copy files between OneDrive accounts.
Why Transfer Files from One OneDrive Account to Another?
There could be various reasons behind moving files between OneDrive accounts, such as:
- The current account is not working properly.
- You have some essential documents in a shared account and want to transfer documents from one OneDrive account to another.
- You are using a professional email account and there is not enough space available after freeing up space in OneDrive.
- You want to transfer files, documents, videos, etc. to another account for data backup.
How to transfer files from OneDrive to another account effectively? Check the below best free OneDrive migration tool.
How to Move Files from OneDrive to Another Account without downloading? 4 Quick Ways
Since OneDrive lacks features that facilitate transferring files from OneDrive to another account directly with no download and upload. so, for direct OneDrive to OneDrive migration, here we would like to recommend using the FREE cloud storage manager called MultCloud. As an online cloud management and transfer service, it can help move files from one drive to another cloud drive directly without downloading and uploading.
- Cloud Transfer: directly move data from one cloud to another without downloading.
- Offline Transfer: migrate cloud data without going through computers.
- Fast: up to 10 threads to finish the cloud data transfer speedily.
- Automate: set a schedule to run cloud transfer, sync, backup task automatically.
- Stable Transfer: rely on the traffic (not the network) to process.
It supports not only OneDrive but also supports other cloud services including Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photos, Gmail, Box, SharePoint, Flickr, Google Photos, Amazon S3, SugarSync, Hubic, Evernote, MEGA, MySQL, MediaFire, ownCloud, ADrive, BaiDu, WebDAV, FTP/SFTP, etc. So, you can use it to easily move files from OneDrive account to another, but also transfer data from Dropbox to Box, or other supported cloud services.
To transfer from OneDrive to another, MultCloud provides 4 methods for your convenience. Take a look and choose one for your needs. Before that, please sign up via the following methods.
Step 1. Sign Up. Create one MultCloud account.
Step 2. Add Clouds. Log in MultCloud account. Click "Add Cloud" and follow the steps to add your two OneDrive accounts to MultCloud.
Way 1. Move Files from OneDrive to Another by Drag and Drop
The first way is just dragging the file from one OneDrive to another. Select the file you want to move and press the left mouse button to move it.
Note: The drag-and-drop function is now only available in the old version of MultCloud, please click "Switch to classic MultCloud" at the bottom left corner to use it.
Way 2. Transfer Files from One OneDrive Account to Another by "Copy To"
The second way is that you can select files you want to migrate from your first OneDrive account, right-click the blank area and click the "Copy to" feature. When you click "Copy to", there will be a pop-up window appearing. Select another OneDrive account as the destination location and click the "OK" button.
Tip: You can enable Multi-select to move OneDrive files to multiple cloud services to keep them safe.
Way 3. Move Files from one OneDrive Account to Another by "Cloud Transfer"
The third way is that you can create a "Cloud Transfer" task to transfer OneDrive files to another account without the copy method. Go to "Cloud Transfer" page, select folders you want to transfer from your first OneDrive account, select destination path to save them under your second OneDrive account. click on "Transfer Now" and wait for the process to complete.
- With Cloud Transfer, you can select the whole OneDrive as the source and select your second OneDrive account as the destination to transfer files between OneDrive accounts.
- For "Cloud Transfer" feature, is more suitable for transferring folders or whole cloud drives. If there are hundreds of folders that need to be transferred, you can perform a Cloud Transfer task to move folders from one OneDrive to another.
- You can enable the "Schedule" feature to transfer your data if you want to transfer your data regularly. Unlock all advanced features including Schedule and up to 10 threads to transfer faster.
- As MultCloud supports offline transfer, you can close the page and even close your computer because MultCloud can deal with your task in the background.
Way 4. Move Files from one OneDrive Account to Another by "Share"
The fourth way is mainly for some users who want to transfer files in their OneDrive to their friends' OneDrive accounts. Besides, you're able to share OneDrive files outside the organization safely. This way is to use the "Share" function of MultCloud to transfer files.
1. Open OneDrive in MultCloud, select the document or folder to be transferred, then click the "Share" button, and finally select the mode to share in the pop-up window: Public Share, Private Share, or Source Share. After creating the link, send the link to your friends.
2. Your friend can download the data in your OneDrive through this link or can choose to save the data directly to her or his OneDrive account.
- If your friend needs to transfer files to his or her OneDrive account, he or she needs to firstly create a MultCloud account and add his or her OneDrive account to this MultCloud account.
- If your friends or family members have registered MultCloud accounts, you can use sharing function of MultCloud to share interesting pictures, videos, or some application packages between different cloud drive accounts.
- If you create a "Private Share", you also need to send the default password (this password can be customized) to your friends.
FAQs about Migrate Files between OneDrive Accounts
Can I directly move files between OneDrive accounts?
OneDrive doesn't offer a direct "move" feature between accounts. You'll need to use sharing or manual downloading/uploading to move manually. Or you can move files between OneDrive accounts directly with a third-party tool like MultCloud.
How do I download files from one OneDrive account to upload them to another?
Open the source OneDrive account, select files, click "Download", then sign in to the destination OneDrive account and upload the files.
Are there any third-party tools to simplify transferring between OneDrive accounts?
Yes, there are third-party tools designed to facilitate cross-account transfers. MultCloud is the one that allows you directly transfer files between OneDrive accounts with simple steps.
Will file metadata (such as creation dates) be preserved during the transfer?
File metadata might not always be preserved during manual transfers. Some tools like MultCloud will keep file metadata information, as well as the folder structure and others, to keep them organized just like before the transfer.
Generally speaking, you can transfer files from one OneDrive account to another by downloading and re-uploading. However, if you don't want to spend any time and energy manually downloading and re-uploading, the 4 methods listed above offered by Multcloud are perfect. Moreover, you can also use MultCloud to sync and backup data across different clouds easily with "Cloud Sync". For example, you can sync photos from OneDrive to Google Photos, and sync Google Drive to OneDrive for free, etc.
MultCloud Supports Clouds
OneDrive for Business
box for Business
You May Also Like
This paper offers demonstrates how to remote upload file to OneDrive from URL and other links. Besides learning how to remote upload to OneDrive, you will get a deeper understanding on how to manage all your cloud drives conveniently in one platform.
This article will analyze why OneDrive files and folders not syncing and give you 28 free solutions to deal with OneDrive won't sync problem. This article is somehow long, please take your patience or just find what you need through the quick guide below.