Can I Share OneDrive Files with Anyone?
With the clear guidance in this article, you can feel free to share OneDrive with external users or users outside your organization, regardless of whether or not they have Microsoft accounts. And you can safely and securely collaborate with anyone you want. But please remember one thing, your recipients’ ease of using your shared files mainly depends on your sharing permissions and whether they have Microsoft accounts or not.
So, now let’s take a look at how to achieve OneDrive external sharing with users outside your organization in 2 easy ways by the OneDrive website and a professional online file sharing service called MultCloud. However, before sharing OneDrive files outside the organization, you may first need to check the external sharing permission of your organization.
OneDrive Can’t Share with External Users – Enable External Sharing First
If you receive the error message like the above picture shows when you are trying to share OneDrive files and folders with people outside your organization, you must change the OneDrive sharing settings of your organization’s domain.
Using less permissive settings will allow users to restrict the data sharing receivers, reducing the possibility of accidentally sending data to the wrong user. And the more permissive settings are gradually used to allow users to send data to multiple users inside or outside of your organization.
Step 1. Log in to Office 365 with your admin OneDrive account.
Step 2. Click Admin > SharePoint > Policies > Sharing.
Step 3. Move the circle button to the level of permissions that you want. (Anyone or Now and existing guests.)
Step 4. Click “Save” below and you are completely ready to use OneDrive for Business share outside organization.
How to Share OneDrive Files Outside Organization in a Normal Way
After changing the external sharing permission of your organization, now you can share files from OneDrive to whoever you want. As most people know, the most traditional way to share OneDrive files and folders outside the organization is using the OneDrive official website. And here’s how to operate.
Share Files Outside Organization on OneDrive Web
Step 1. Log in to OneDrive web with your OneDrive account.
Step 2. Choose a file or a folder and click “Share” above.
Step 3. Click “Anyone with the link can edit” to enter the “Link settings” interface. Then choose the settings you need.
- Anyone with the link: Choose this if you want to allow any recipient who receives the sharing link can access your shared data. Recipients do not need a Microsoft account or sign in to access the shared data.
- Specific people: Select this option if you want to protect your shared data and obtain a link that is valid only for the people you have invited. Recipients are required to confirm their identity before viewing content.
Step 4. Enter the email address of your recipients outside the organization in the blank and click “Send”. Or, you can “Copy” the sharing link and send it by yourself.
If you choose “Specific people” as the sharing link setting, then your recipients’ operation of accessing your shared files varies according to their accounts.
For Users with Microsoft Accounts: They may have to sign in and accept review permissions.
For Users without a Microsoft Account: They may need to click “Send Code” and enter the verification code.
How to Share OneDrive Files Outside Organization in an Easier Way
As you can see from the above method, it may be a little complicated for you to share files and folders from OneDrive with people outside the organization since there are too many steps and settings waiting for you to choose. But don’t worry, here’s an easier and quicker method for you to solve the problem of how to share files on OneDrive with external users.
All you need to do is to add your OneDrive to an excellent cloud file manager, MultCloud, and use its reliable sharing features to conveniently share OneDrive outside organization.
- Efficiently collaborate with the team across clouds by creating sub-accounts of MultCloud after subscribing.
- Securely share cloud files with everyone in 3 modes like public, private (password), and source.
- Easily create OneDrive file requests from MultCloud with simple management.
Share OneDrive Files Outside Organization by MultCloud
Step 1. Create an account of MultCloud and log in to its interface.
Step 2. Choose OneDrive for Business icon to add your OneDrive account to MultCloud.
- MultCloud supports more than 30 leading cloud storage services and allows you to add all your clouds to use and manage in it for free.
- MultCloud uses the OAuth authorization system to connect your clouds. So, it won’t record the username and password of your clouds.
Step 3. Tick a file or folder in your OneDrive for Business account and click the “Share” button above.
Step 4. Choose a sharing mode in the pop-up window and click “Create Share”.
Step 5. Click “Copy” and send the sharing link to your recipients by yourself or by the ways listed below the sharing link.
When your recipient receives the sharing link, he can open the sharing link and view or download the shared file conveniently. What’s more, to save his local storage, he can also use MultCloud to save the shared file to his cloud directly without downloading and uploading.
- Among the 3 useful sharing modes of MultCloud, the Private Share mode is highly recommended to you due to its great security protection of your shared files.
- If you share a OneDrive folder outside of the organization from MultCloud, you can easily create OneDrive file requests by moving to the “My shares” list and turning on the “Allow to Upload” button.
In the End
With the above 2 wonderful solutions about how to share OneDrive files outside organization in hand, now it’s your time to choose your favorite method and follow the instruction step-by-step to successfully use OneDrive for Business share outside organization.
Besides, since MultCloud is also a great multiple cloud storage manager, you can add all your clouds to MultCloud to use and manage these clouds efficiently in a single interface. And MultCloud provides unique features such as Cloud Transfer, Team Transfer, Cloud Backup, Cloud Sync, etc. for you to seamlessly transfer files between cloud storage services with one single click.