Why Sync Photos from OneDrive to Google Photos?
OneDrive is a cloud storage developed by Microsoft which offers 5GB storage space for a free user, so people can store movies, documents and photos on it with its free space. With the increasing development of cloud storage, both the elderly and the youth are more likely to take pictures with their mobile phones to record their lifestyle no matter where they are and what they are doing, and then put those pictures to OneDrive as a good memory.
But, 5GB for storing photos is not enough for most users, so it’s necessary to move photos from OneDrive to another place for freeing up space. As we all know, Google Photos is an image sharing storage service that offers users 15GB storage for videos up to 1080p resolution and photos up to 16 megapixels.
In addition, Google Photos has the following advantages, which can perfectly replace OneDrive.
- Additional picture editing functions: Google Photos can allow users to crop, stitch, and make animated pictures, while OneDrive can only provide users with simple delete, move, and rename operations.
- Picture grouping is smarter: All images can be intelligently analyzed and grouped by people, geographic landmarks, locations, object types, etc. For pictures of people, Google Photos can use facial recognition technology to group people individually.
Since Google Photos has this powerful feature, then you will definitely want to transfer photos from OneDrive to Google Photos. However, it’s question about how to sync pictures from OneDrive to Google Photos.
How to Sync Photos between OneDrive and Google Photos?
The manual way about how to move photos from Onedrive to Google Photos is to download them from OneDrive to the local PC and then upload them manually to Google Photos. Let's see the detailed steps below.
Solution 1. Download and Upload
Step 1. Log in OneDrive official website.
Step 2. Select pictures you want to download and click "Download" button.
Step 3. Log in your Google Photos account.
Step 4. Click "Upload", select "Computers", browse and select photos which you want to upload from your local PC and wait for the process to complete.
There are a lot of limitations when using this manual way to sync OneDrive to Google Photos, of which some are listed below:
- It takes much time when downloading and uploading large files manually.
- You cannot close the page until the process is complete.
- Once the process is interrupted due to the bad internet condition, the entire process needs to start over.
Solution 2. Google Photos Backup
This method first ensures that the OneDrive application is already available on the PC, and then you need to download Google Photos Backup desktop app to the computer. After everything is ready, you can perform the following operations.
Step 1. Open the OneDrive application, log in to your account, and store all the pictures to be synced in a folder, such as My Pictures.
Step 2. Open the Google Photos Backup application, log in to your account, click “Preferences” in the drop-down menu.
Step 3. Then select "Add Folder" to select the "My Pictures" folder in the OneDrive directory from the pop-up window.
Step 4. Finally select "Back up to Google Photos", and click ”Done” button, then all pictures will be automatically uploaded to OneDrive.
Although this method is much smarter than traditional uploading and downloading, it still has certain flaws.
1. Google Photos backup slow or Google Photos backup stuck often occurs.
2. It is not very friendly to users who do not use Windows 10. Users without Windows 10 need to download the OneDrive application to perform the above operations.
3. This method does not have a regular sync option, so when the sync is completed, the user needs to manually check the backup situation.
Solution 3. Sync Photos between OneDrive and Google Photos with MultCloud
After using this manual way, most of us would like to find a method that can bypass above limitations perfectly. Under this situation, it's good to choose an expert way that can complete the same task without downloading and uploading and even spending much time. MultCloud is a professional tool that is capable of transferring files from one cloud to other clouds in a reliable and efficient way.
MultCloud is a FREE multiple cloud storage manager that provides a convenient cloud file transfer way for you to manage all the cloud storage accounts that you have. The authorization system of MultCloud is based on OAuth which is a standard authorization framework that enables third party applications to access multiple cloud accounts without username and password required.
So, you can carry out the given steps below to transfer photos from OneDrive to Google Photos.
Step1. Create a MultCloud account or you can click try without signing up.
Step 2. Add your OneDrive and Google Photos account to MultCloud.
Step 3. Create a "Cloud Sync" task to sync OneDrive photos to Google Photos. Select OneDrive as the source and select Google Photos as the target. Click “Sync Now” and wait for the process to complete.
- Google Photos does not support selecting its root directory as the target location. Please select its sub-directories as the destination path.
- For "Cloud Sync", there are 9 sync modes. You can learn how the sync mode works by upgrading your account to a premium account.
- If you are going to move Google Photos to OneDrive, you can just use “Cloud Transfer” to complete the task.
Following any way from aforementioned steps, it can help you sync photos between OneDrive and Google Photos quickly. If you prefer to use MultCloud, when the sync task starts, you can close the page and even close your PC because MultCloud can deal with the task at the background.