Can You Migrate Google Shared Drive to SharePoint Online?
At a quick glance, google Shared Drive (Team Drive) and SharePoint Online look similar that both can boost team collaboration with online file-sharing storage services. However, there are significant differences between SharePoint Online and Google Workspace Shared Drives.
Major differences are cloud storage, cloud file management, and collaborative application compatibility. These differences may complicate the operation of migrating from Shared Drives to SharePoint Online.
It can be a confusing task not only for small businesses but for large organizations as well to migrate files from Shared Drive to SharePoint Online. If you want to migrate from Shared Drives to SharePoint library, you can follow the step-by-step instructions below.
How to Migrate Google Shared Drive to SharePoint Online in 2 Ways
You can transfer files from Google Shared Drive to SharePoint simply by downloading files from Shared Drives and uploading files to SharePoint Online manually. But if your data is too large to migrate through your own network and local storage, you can use a professional cloud-to-cloud migration tool such as MultCloud for quick and easy Google Shared Drive to SharePoint Online migration.
Tip: Before migrating Shared Drive to SharePoint Online, you may need to have the admin accounts of both clouds or have the permissions to edit in Shared Drives and SharePoint sites.
Way 1. Move Files from Shared Drive to SharePoint Manually
Step 1. Log in to your Google Workspace and open a Shared Drive.
Step 2. Select all the documents in a Shared Drive, right-click on the files, and choose “Download” in the dropdown menu.
Step 3. When your Shared Drive files have been downloaded and compressed as a zip file, just unzip the downloaded file in the Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder.
Step 4. Log in to SharePoint Online, and choose a documents library in a SharePoint site where you want to migrate Shared Drive files to.
Step 5. Drag and drop the downloaded files from File Explorer to SharePoint Online.
Way 2. Migrate Shared Drive to SharePoint Easily with One Click
Instead of manually moving files from Shared Drive to SharePoint, you can also use a free and reliable multiple cloud storage manager, MultCloud, to easily transfer files between cloud storage services only with a single click without downloading and uploading.
MultCloud offers a great web interface for you to add all your clouds securely to it for convenient and quick cloud file management and cross-cloud data transfer.
- One-key data migration between clouds: The Cloud Transfer, Team Transfer, Cloud Sync, and Cloud Backup functions can help you transfer, sync, or backup data between clouds seamlessly online.
- Superfast transfer speed and offline, schedule abilities: MultCloud provides the industry-leading data transfer speed without relying on your local network. And it can largely save your time and energy by performing tasks offline with flexible schedules.
- Supports 30+ popular clouds for personal and business: Famous cloud storage services like Google Drive, Google Workspace, OneDrive for Business, SharePoint, FTP, Dropbox Business, Box, MEGA, Amazon S3, Wasabi, WebDAV, can all be added for free.
- Quickly access cloud files from all operating systems: Only with a normal Internet connection and a reliable browser, you can always access your clouds from MultCloud no matter which device you use.
- Best data protection for clouds and transfer process: MultCloud uses the OAuth authorization system to connect with your clouds and applies the 256-bit AES encryption to full-time protect the file transfer process.
Now you can follow the guide below to migrate Shared Drive to SharePoint with the help of Cloud Transfer.
Step 1. Create a MultCloud account on the official website and log in to its interface. MultCloud supports creating a temp account by clicking “Try without signing up”. And logging in with Facebook/Google account is also allowed.
Step 2. Add your Google Shared Drive to MultCloud by clicking the “Add Cloud” button. Then choose the Shared Drive icon and follow the pop-up window to add it to MultCloud. After that, add your SharePoint in the same way.
Tip: In MultCloud, “Google Workspace” represents the My Drive of a Google Workspace account, so make sure you choose “Shared Drive” to add to MultCloud.
Step 3. On the Cloud Transfer page, select a Shared Drive in your Google Shared Drive account as the source. Then select a documents library in your SharePoint site as the destination.
Step 4. Click the “Transfer Now” button to let MultCloud move files from Shared Drive to SharePoint immediately.
- By subscribing MultCloud, you will get lightning-fast data transfer speed and more data traffic. What’s more, then you can make full use of the Schedule and Filter functions.
- In the “Options”, you can choose “Delete all source files after transfer is complete.” to completely transfer Shared Drive to SharePoint.
- In the “Schedule”, you can choose a daily, weekly, or monthly plan for MultCloud to perform tasks automatically.
In the End
After reading through this article, you can choose the best way you like to migrate Google Shared Drive to SharePoint efficiently. If you prefer to use MultCloud, then you can get the best and most time-saving experience of the Google Workspace Shared Drive to SharePoint migration since no downloading and uploading processes are needed anymore.
Besides, if you are using Google Shared Drive and OneDrive for Business right now, MultCloud offers an easier way to migrate Shared Drive to OneDrive for Business with the Team Transfer function. Team Transfer can help you achieve team migration across clouds with the ability to auto-match your source and destination sub-accounts.