About Google Workspace and OneDrive
Google has rebranded G Suite as Google Workspace on October 6, 2020, to better compete with Microsoft 365. Google Workspace includes all tools like Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Contacts, Drive, Calendar, Chat, etc. which are popular in cloud-based productivity and collaboration. OneDrive, in a contrast, is one of the useful online file-sharing and storage services under Microsoft 365. OneDrive offers 5 GB of free storage for each user to store data online.
You can regard OneDrive as My Drive or Shared Drive in Google Workspace. And you can look through the table about Google Workspace vs OneDrive below to find out the main differences between these two services.
|Key Features||Audit management, authentication, calendar management and sync, conferencing, electronic signature, real time editing, etc.||Asset library and sharing, content library, full-text search, real-time sync, remote access and control, etc.|
|Integrations||Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, Zapier||Asana, Gmail, Microsoft 365, SharePoint, Slack, Trello, Zapier|
Why Need Google Workspace to OneDrive Migration?
Google and Microsoft are two giant companies that provide the best productivity tools to business consumers with different features. If you have both Google and Microsoft accounts, then it would be better if you could migrate data from Google Workspace to OneDrive or transfer files from Google Drive to OneDrive based on the following advantages:
• Better Integration of Software and Tool
Even if you can find Google anywhere, Microsoft may still be the best choice, especially for corporate use. Compared with Google Workspace which supports less software and tools than Microsoft does, Microsoft allows you to use Azure, SharePoint, Slack, and other software and tools from every platform once you migrate Google Workspace to OneDrive because OneDrive is the fundamental product of all these collaborative tools.
• Get Seamless Office Suite Collaboration
Since the Microsoft Office suite is pretty mature for you to use no matter on the web, mobile device, or desktop while the office suite in Google form only serves online, you can benefit a lot from the Google Workspace to Microsoft OneDrive migration, because Microsoft Office suite is tied with OneDrive. And you can open files from any office tool if the files are already stored in OneDrive.
To solve the problem of how to migrate from Google Workspace to OneDrive easily, we have tested out the 4 best solutions for you to choose from.
• The first method can help you migrate all the data as a compressed file from Google Workspace to OneDrive at once.
• The next two methods require you to use a free cloud file manager to migrate My Drive and Shared Drive of Google Workspace to OneDrive with flexibility and simplicity.
• The last method can do great in migrating multiple user accounts from Google Workspace to OneDrive for Business immediately.
Now you can carefully read the instructions below to learn how to migrate files from Google Workspace to OneDrive efficiently.
1 Normal Way: Google Workspace to OneDrive Migration with Google Takeout
Google Takeout is a project provided by Google to help you export data from Google products at once. You can choose to export data once or bimonthly to a local device or Dropbox, OneDrive, and Box in Google Takeout.
On the bright side, you don’t need to download and upload anything but can successfully migrate files and folders from Google Workspace to OneDrive. However, the migrated data stored in OneDrive will only appear to be a compressed file, which means you cannot directly view and edit the exported files and may have to manually unzip the files. So, Google Takeout is more like a backup tool rather than a migration tool. But if you still want to migrate Google Workspace data to OneDrive in this way, here are detailed steps to give you some help.
Step 1. Sign in to Google Takeout from the browser.
Step 2. Switch to the “Data and privacy” page and choose “Download your data”.
Step 3. If you only want to migrate data from My Drive of Google Workspace, click “Deselect all” and tick the box beside “Drive”. Else, just slide to the bottom of the page and click “Next step”.
Tip: Google Takeout doesn’t support you to export data from the Shared Drive of Google Workspace. If you need, please try the second or third methods instead.
Step 4. Choose “Add to OneDrive” as the delivery method, select the export frequency you need and click “Link accounts and create export”.
Step 5. Click “Yes” to allow Google to access your OneDrive. Then you can find the migrated data in your OneDrive account successfully.
2 Quick Ways: Do Google Workspace to OneDrive Migration with MultCloud
As you can find from the above method, using Google Takeout to migrate Google Workspace to Microsoft OneDrive is still a little bit complicated and the way of choosing certain files to migrate to OneDrive is indistinct. Therefore, we suggest you try a great third-party multiple cloud storage manager called MultCloud to migrate files from Google Workspace to OneDrive without any worry about data loss.
MultCloud is designed to help you manage, transfer, sync, and backup data between 30+ major cloud storage services in a single and easy-to-use interface with the best security protection. With its “Cloud Transfer” and “Copy to” functions, you can easily migrate data from My Drive or Shared Drive of Google Workspace to OneDrive with one click.
- For "Cloud Transfer", there are some additional options and schedule plans for you to set up with Google Workspace to Microsoft OneDrive migration. And Cloud Transfer supports migrating data from more than one source directory at the same time.
- For “Copy to”, there isn’t any option for you to choose with the migration. But this function can help you migrate Google Workspace to multiple destinations at once.
You can choose one of these two methods according to your demand and then follow the step-by-step instructions below to quickly achieve Google Workspace to Microsoft OneDrive migration.
Preparation before Google Workspace to OneDrive Migration with MultCloud
Before migrating Google Workspace to OneDrive, you may have to enter the MultCloud website and add your cloud accounts to it.
Step 1. Sign up MultCloud for free.
Step 2. Click “Add Cloud” and choose Google Workspace to add it to MultCloud. Then choose OneDrive to add to MultCloud as well.
- You can add as many clouds as you have to MultCloud for completely free since MultCloud sets no limit to the number of adding clouds.
- Google Workspace in MultCloud means the My Drive folder of this Google Workspace account. If you want to migrate files from the Shared Drive folder of Google Workspace as well, please choose Shared Drive to add to MultCloud respectively.
Now you can use “Cloud Transfer” or “Copy to” to realize Google Workspace to OneDrive migration conveniently.
Way 1. Migrate Google Workspace to OneDrive by Cloud Transfer
Step 1. Enter the “Cloud Transfer” page of MultCloud, select Google Workspace or Shared Drive as the source, then select OneDrive as the destination.
- Source: You can choose Google Workspace or files and folders in it as the source.
- Destination: You can choose OneDrive or a folder in it as the destination.
Step 2. Choose “Options” and “Schedule” about the Google Workspace to Microsoft OneDrive migration if you need.
- Transfer: Set up actions like “Delete all source files after the transfer is completed.”
- Email: Turn it on so that MultCloud will send an email notification to you when the task is done.
- Filter: Enter extensions to let MultCloud ignore or only migrate files with these extensions (available for MultCloud subscribers).
- Schedule: Set up daily, weekly, or monthly plans to let MultCloud automatically perform scheduled cloud file transfer tasks.
Step 3. Click “Transfer Now” and MultCloud will migrate from Google Workspace to OneDrive immediately.
- When the Cloud Transfer task starts, you can close the browser or shut down your device since MultCloud can run tasks in the background.
- MultCloud offers 30 GB of traffic per month for each user to transfer data through. Considering that you may have more than 30 GB of data that needs to be migrated to OneDrive, you can upgrade to a premium plan and get traffic from 150 GB to unlimited traffic with lightning-fast transfer speed.
Way 2. Achieve Google Workspace to OneDrive Migration by “Copy to”
Step 1. Open the “Google Workspace” page in MultCloud, and tick the files and folders you want to migrate to OneDrive. Then click “Copy to” in the feature bar above.
Step 2. Choose OneDrive in the pop-up window, then click “OK”. And the selected data will be migrated from Google Workspace to Microsoft OneDrive at once.
Tip: If you want to migrate Google Workspace to more destinations, just tick “Multi-select” before selecting the destination.
1 Additional Way: Google Workspace to OneDrive for Business Migration in Bulk
The above methods are all about how to migrate data between single accounts. But how to migrate data between lots of accounts across domains or business accounts at once?
MultCloud provides you with the most efficient solution to transfer multiple business accounts from one domain or cloud to another with a single click by the “Team Transfer” function. The accounts of source and target can match automatically, and all the file and folder structures of each account will remain the same after migration.
If you or your team want to migrate Shared Drive to OneDrive for Business or Google Workspace to OneDrive for Business, the next instruction will use the operation of migrating Google Workspace to OneDrive for Business to tell you in detail.
Step 1. Click “Add Cloud” to add your OneDrive for Business account to MultCloud.
Step 2. Switch to the “Team Transfer” page from the left menu.
Step 3. Choose Google Workspace as the source cloud and OneDrive for Business as the target cloud.
Tip: You can choose business clouds in the source and target only if you add these clouds to MultCloud with admin accounts.
Step 4. Choose “Auto-Match” or “Upload CSV” in the dropdown menu of “Batch Match” or manually tick the source and target accounts one by one to pair the accounts.
Step 5. Choose additional options the same as Cloud Transfer.
Step 6. Click “Transfer Now” and MultCloud will migrate the matched business accounts from source to target pair to pair.
Tip: For free users, you can create 3 subtasks at a time. And for subscribers, you can create up to 1000 subtasks instead.
More about MultCloud
With the above 4 excellent solutions for Google Workspace to OneDrive migration, you can now migrate Google Workspace My Drive and Shared Drive to OneDrive in the most time-saving way.
Besides, as a multifunctional tool as MultCloud is, there are so many unique features in MultCloud waiting for you to try.
- Transfer, sync, and backup data between clouds by Cloud Transfer, Team Transfer, Cloud Sync, and Cloud Backup.
- Manage files among all the clouds by Upload, Download, Copy, Cut, Preview, and Rename.
- Share files from different clouds by Public, Private, and Source Share.
- Collaborate with Google Workspace, OneDrive, and other cloud users together by Sub-accounts.
- Remote Upload to OneDrive directly from URLs, torrents, and magnet links.