Why Need to Disable OneDrive Syncing?
Sometimes, OneDrive keeps syncing your files but with little progress; it seems never finish.
Sometimes, you may put the wrong items at syncing.
Or, OneDrive has been automatically syncing files that you don’t want it to.
No matter which situation above you are in or in other similar situations, you will need to stop syncing to OneDrive.
How to Stop OneDrive from Syncing?
The following solutions can be applied to all kinds of devices like desktop, laptop, notebook, pad and cellphone. Also, they are suitable for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android as well as iOS. Yet, the following will take OneDrive personal free App in Windows 10 for example; in other devices or operating systems, even for OneDrive for business, the steps can be similar or different.
Tips: The files mentioned below is a general referring for files, folders, photos, pictures, images, docs, sheets, excels, videos, etc.
Method 1. Pause OneDrive from Syncing
If you want to temporarily and quickly suspend OneDrive’s work, rely on its pause feature to do so. Click on its taskbar icon, click “More (three dots)” in the pop-up window and click “Pause syncing”. You can select how long to pause the process, 2 hours, 8 hours or 24 hours.
Tips: No matter how long you choose to pause OneDrive, you can resume its syncing anytime you want and it will start working immediately after resuming.
Method 2. Quit OneDrive from syncing
If you want to directly stop OneDrive from syncing, quite it out is your choice. Just select “Quit OneDrive” in above more pop-up menu. Then, OneDrive will be closed and all running task will be ceased.
Method 3. Sign out/unlink this PC
Cut off the connection between this computer and OneDrive is also a way to halt OneDrive from syncing to your PC. Choose “Settings” in above menu. In the Account tab of the pop-up window, click “Unlink this PC”.
Method 4. Turn off automatically sync a folder
If you want to prevent OneDrive from auto syncing photos, videos, screenshots or certain folders like Desktop, Documents or Pictures, just change some settings.
1. In Auto Save tab, uncheck “Automatically save photos and videos to OneDrive whenever I connect a camera, phone, or other device to my PC” and “Automatically save screenshots I capture to OneDrive” to discontinue photo, videos and screenshot auto sync.
2. Click on “Update folders”. Then, click “Stop protecting” under the folder which you want to cancel automatic protection. (If you haven’t protected a folder, there won’t be a “Stop protecting” option under it.)
Method 5. Clear OneDrive folder
Another way to stop OneDrive from syncing is to get rid of the syncing source. Besides the source files excluded in above Method 4, there is the common source folder – local OneDrive folder. All files in it will be synced to online cloud. Thus, remove the flies that you don’t want to sync out Dropbox folder will block them from been syncing. If you don’t want any files go to OneDrive, just clear this OneDrive folder and make it empty.
To find the OneDrive folder, you can look into the left menu in Windows explorer. Or, click OneDrive icon on system tray and click “Open folder” to open it.
Method 6. Disable network connection
Indirectly, to stop OneDrive from uploading or downloading, just cut off the network connection of the device. Without network, none file transfer task can be carried out.
Method 7. Uninstall OneDrive
Or, use the stupid way to uninstall OneDrive to stop it from syncing. Don’t worry, this won’t delete the data on your OneDrive cloud. When the current syncing is disappeared, you can reinstall OneDrive.
Method 8. Hide OneDrive
In some versions of Windows operating systems, OneDrive is built in and can’t be uninstalled. Yet, you can hide it to stop OneDrive from syncing.
There are some preparations to do before hiding OneDrive. You should cut off the connection between online OneDrive cloud and local storage built by OneDrive App.
1. Open Microsoft OneDrive settings window.
2. In the default Account tab, click “Choose folders”. In the next pop-up window, check and uncheck “Make all files available”. (The first check is to make sure all below items are checked so that the next uncheck will deselect all items.)
3. In Settings tab, uncheck “Let me use OneDrive to fetch any of my files on this PC”.
4. In Auto Save tab, uncheck “Automatically save photos and videos to OneDrive whenever I connect a camera, phone, or other device to my PC” and “Automatically save screenshots I capture to OneDrive”. Click “Update folder” button, in the pop-up window, “Stop protecting” Desktop, Pictures as well as Documents folder.
5. Click “OK” to save changes.
6. Open settings window again, in Account tab, click “Unlink this PC” to cut off the connection between this computer and OneDrive program. (Close the application window after unlinking.)
Next, hide OneDrive.
1. In Windows file explorer, right-click on OneDrive and select “Properties”.
2. In the pop-up OneDrive Properties window, under General tab, check “Hidden”.
3. Click “OK” to save and exit.
Finally, quit OneDrive from its system tray icon to stop OneDrive from syncing.
Method 9. Shut down your machine
Method 10. Cut off power supplye
Method 11. Stop Dropbox from automatic start up
Just uncheck “Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows” in Settings tab. Just so easy!
Using MultCloud to Sync to OneDrive
If you have to stop OneDrive from syncing for it has encountered some problems and are not available. You can rely on other software to sync to OneDrive, such as MultCloud, a multiple cloud storage manager. Just create an account of it, add your OneDrive account to it and you can upload local files through it to OneDrive cloud.
Besides, you can manage files in OneDrive like create, delete, download, rename, copy, cut, paste, share, etc. Moreover, you are able to sync files directly from one OneDrive to another without downloading and re-uploading or sharing. It’s just so easy!
You may also like