SharePoint Migration Manager vs SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT)
SharePoint Migration Manager is designed by Microsoft as a tool to migrate data. It supports migrating data from on-premises file share content, Stream, and other cloud drives. For file sharing, SharePoint Migration Manager supports files up to 250 GB in size. Using this, you can download aggregated summary and task-level reports. Conduct pre-scans can be also used in SharePoint Online Migration Manager.
SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) is also developed by Microsoft, so it has seamless integration with Microsoft 365. It can be used to migrate data to SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, or Microsoft Teams. SharePoint Migration Tool provides various migration options. For example, it can migrate SharePoint lists, libraries, and sites to Microsoft 365. SharePoint Migration Tool makes sure that files are migrated with all their metadata intact, which ensures a high-fidelity migration experience.
You can see the differences between SharePoint Migration Manager and SharePoint Migration Tool from the following 3 points.
- Form: Migration Manager can be used on SharePoint Online. While SharePoint Migration Tool is used as a desktop app or on PowerShell.
- User and Group Mapping: These 2 tools can map users and groups during migration. But SharePoint Migration Tool has more granular mapping options, such as mapping users and groups with custom claims.
- Incremental Migration: SharePoint Migration Manager doesn’t support incremental migration, while SharePoint Migration Tool can achieve this. Incremental migration means the processes will only migrate the parts which are changed compared to the last migration.
You may have a basic impression of SharePoint Oline Migration Manager and SharePoint Migration Tool. If you are keen on Migration Manager of SharePoint, the next part will show you how to use it correctly.
How Do I Use SharePoint Migration Manager [6 Steps]
The Migration Manager of SharePoint serves to migrate data to different migration agents. Therefore, you have to set up the agents before you begin the migration process. That means you have to download and install agents on the computers that you want to connect with Migration Manager for SharePoint. Then, you can refer to the steps showed below.
Step 1: Enter SharePoint Admin Center and click “Get started” under File Shares.
Step 2: Click “Agents” in the taskbar and check if your agent is added or connected.
Step 3: Turn to “Migrations”, choose “Single source and destination”, and click “Next”.
Step 4: Select the files that you want to migrate and enter the file share with the format “\\contoso\fileshare”. Then click “Next” to select the destination for the migrating files.
Step 5: Choose where you want to migrate to by clicking the icon. Here we choose SharePoint Online. Also, you should select the location under SharePoint Online.
Step 6: Check “Settings” to see if there is anything that you want to change. If not, just click “Run now” and the task is complete.
MultCloud – Best Alternative to SharePoint Migration Manager [3 Steps]
As you can see, the steps of using SharePoint Online Migration Manager are complex and not easy to understand. So, you can find an alternative to it. MultCloud is considered as the best alternative to SharePoint Migration Manager. It can also migrate files from a local position or other cloud drives to SharePoint Online.
Why MultCloud Overweighs SharePoint Migration Manager:
- Fewer steps and easier operations.
- More flexible and supports more clouds to transfer from/to.
- Faster transfer speed and supports offline transfer.
- Filter for ignoring the files during transfer process.
Here this post will show you how to use Cloud Transfer to migrate Wasabi to SharePoint Online.
Step 1: Enter MultCloud and click “Sign up Free”. Then you will turn to another interface to create a new MultCloud account.
Step 2: Click “Add Cloud” and tap the icons of Wasabi and SharePoint Online. Here you will log in to your Wasabi and SharePoint Online accounts in the pop-up windows.
Step 3: Choose “Cloud Transfer” in the left sidebar and select the files or clouds which you want to transfer from/to. Then, click “Transfer Now” and all your operations are done.
- Transfer: If some files are already existed in the target cloud, you can choose how to deal with those files like skipping these files.
- Email: If you tick the box in Email, you will receive an email sent by MultCloud to notify you that the transfer is complete.
- Filter: If you want to ignore some files or only transfer some files which are with the same extensions, you can use Filter. Once you add the extensions in the box, MultCloud will ignore or transfer the files with the selected extensions automatically.
- Schedule: The Schedule next to Options is used to time the transfer process. You can set a time when you want MultCloud to run the transfer. The Schedule extends from daily to monthly. Also, the time can be accurate to the minute.
- VIP Service: If you want to have more transfer threads, you can upgrade to MultCloud VIP. So that you can have 10 threads for transferring different files at the same time and the transfer speed will be faster.
Looking through the whole post, you must know what SharePoint Migration Manager and SharePoint Migration Tool are. 3 differences between them are also showed. If you want to use Migration Manager, you can try the steps that listed in the second part. Besides, MultCloud is introduced to you as an alternative to SharePoint Online Migration Manager. It will be easier to begin using and it is free.
On the other hand, MultCloud is not only good at migrating files between clouds but also syncing and backing up files between clouds. The function Share is also of great use. When you’d like to transfer files between business clouds, you can try MultCloud Team Transfer. The steps are as easy as transferring personal clouds. If you want to migrate Dropbox for Business to Box for Business, then use MultCloud.