User case: sync two folders in different Sharepoints
I have a folder (let's call it folder 1) (with subfolders) in one SharePoint Documents library that I want to sync to another folder (folder 2) in another SharePoint Documents library. I want to sync in both ways so if I add/edit/remove any file or subfolder in folder 1 it will be synced with folder 2 and if I add/edit/remove any file or subfolder in folder 2 it syncs with folder 1. This is possible? how to synchronize two SharePoint document libraries. Thank you very much.
- Question from powerusers.microsoft.com
When to Sync Document Libraries in SharePoint?
SharePoint is a web-based collaboration and document management system powered by Microsoft. It is mainly used for document sharing, business intelligence, advanced search, content collaboration, etc. With SharePoint, authorized users can instantly view, edit, or share documents within the system securely.
In one word, SharePoint offers easy access to critical document libraries and seamless collaboration among teams, boosting productivity and efficiency when working remotely.
Sometimes, you may need to sync Document libraries in two SharePoint accounts. For example, make a backup of the important document libraries in another SharePoint account to avoid unexpected data loss. Besides, syncing multiple SharePoint Document libraries is also a reliable way to keep the information up to date when the same documents are edited by multiple users simultaneously.
How to Sync Two SharePoint Documents Libraries?
In this part, we will show you how to sync two SharePoint folders in the Document library from one SharePoint account to another, as well as synchronize two SharePoint Document libraries to File Explorer.
Part 1. Sync Document library from one SharePoint account to another
To sync a Document library in SharePoint from one account to another, the most traditional way might be downloading from the source SharePoint account to the local disk, and then re-uploading it to the destination SharePoint. This method works well when you have quite a few folders or files to sync. If the contents are huge, the downloading and uploading process might slow down and be affected by the network speed.
In this case, you can turn to the powerful web-based cloud file manager - MultCloud, which is designed to put all your clouds in one place and help transfer and sync required data across clouds directly without switching accounts and downloading. Quite easy to use and follow.
- Direct Move: Sync two SharePoint Document libraries directly.
- Automatic: Automatically sync SharePoint libraries as you want.
- Flexible Compatibility: Supports 30+ clouds, including SharePoint.
- Safe: 256-bit AES encryption and standard OAuth authorization system.
- Efficient: One-key transfer files between cloud drives effortlessly.
5 Steps to sync files between two SharePoint sites with MultCloud:
Step 1. Register an account with your email account. Or directly sign up with your Google or Facebook account.
Step 2. Login the MultCloud and click on the "Add Cloud" option on the left side. Choose SharePoint Online and follow the onscreen instructions to add SharePoint to MultCloud.
Step 3. Repeat the step 2 and add another SharePoint account as well. After that, you can see two different SharePoint accounts in the "My Cloud Drive" list.
Step 4. Click on "Cloud Sync". Choose the Documents library in the source SharePoint account and choose another as the target location.
- By default, it will be a Normal Sync (One Way Sync) after clicking Cloud Sync. If you want to try Real-Time Sync, or Two Way Sync, click the tab to choose.
- Options are able to choose other sync modes except for Real-Time Sync, and Two Way Sync, like mirror sync, move sync, cumulative sync, incremental sync, and more. Moreover, you can set up Email and Filter to make the task run smart.
- Unlock all advanced features, including Schedule, Filter, and up to 10 threads to sync smoothly. What’s more, you can set a specific time when you want to perform the SharePoint mirror Document library and make it start at the scheduled time with Schedule.
Step 5. Then click on "Sync Now" to sync two SharePoint Document libraries immediately.
More details about syncing multiple SharePoint libraries
You can choose "One-way sync", "Two-way sync", or "Real-Time Sync" as you need.
- The "One-way sync" is to sync any modified, added, or deleted data in the Documents library to the target directory, but any changes that occur in the target directory will not be replicated to the source directory.
- "Two-way sync", as its name suggests, is able to copy files in both directions, keeping the two SharePoint Documents libraries in sync and totally the same as each other.
- Besides, it provides "Real Time Sync", which will execute automatic sync as long as any changes are detected in the source cloud if you choose "One-way Sync" at the same time. If you choose "Real Time Sync"+"Two-way Sync". then the two SharePoint folders in two accounts will be synced in time as long as either has any modification. Also, 7 different sync methods are available for different requirements.
Part 2. Sync Document libraries from SharePoint to File Explorer
The above method can be applied to sync two SharePoint folders in the Document library from one account to another. Now, we will talk about how to sync Document libraries from SharePoint to computer File Explorer (taking Windows 10 computer as an example).
Before that, you should turn on "Files On-Demand" in OneDrive: select the OneDrive cloud icon in the Windows notification area and select "Help and Setting" -> "Settings". Then choose "Sync and backup", expand "Advanced settings" and toggle on the "Files On-Demand" option in the popout window. After that, sign into the SharePoint site and do as following:
Step 1. On the SharePoint site, navigate to the Documents Libraries you want to sync with.
Step 2. Select "Sync" in the toolbar to sync SharePoint document library with local folder.
Step 3. Once synced, the SharePoint files will appear in File Explorer under the name of your organization.
In this way, when you edit the files or folders in the Documents, they will be updated simultaneously in your computer File Explorer. Besides, you're able to download files from SharePoint Online easily if the SharePoint sync folder not showing in File Explorer.
FAQs about Sync multiple SharePoint Libraries
Q1: Is SharePoint synchronization bidirectional?
Q2: Can I choose which documents to sync and which to exclude?
Q3: What happens if there's a conflict between synced libraries?
Q4: Can I stop syncing a library if I no longer need it?
Q5: What happens if I delete a document in one synced library?
So, to synchronize two SharePoint Document Libraries from one account to another, MultCloud is a great choice. To sync a document library in SharePoint to your computer File Explorer, you just need to turn on the "Files On-Demand" in OneDrive cloud service.
Apart from the "Cloud Sync", the MultCloud also comes with "Team Transfer" for managing business cloud service in one place, and helping with data transfer across Google Workspace, OneDrive for Business, Dropbox Business, Box for Business, and Shared Drive).
If you encounter SharePoint sync problems with multiple users while syncing multiple SharePoint Libraries, please find solutions here to fix them.
MultCloud Supports Clouds
OneDrive for Business
box for Business